Information for students
Are you studying at university or TAFE? Are you registered with your university or TAFE disability services unit?
Connect50 can help you gain vital work experience, grow self-confidence and enhance your pathway to employment through paid internships with local businesses.
There are opportunities in various disciplines at organisations in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and Latrobe Valley, and in Disability Advocacy organisations in both Metro and Regional Victoria. We will work closely with these organisations to ensure quality internships are delivered in accessible and inclusive working environments.
Connect50 will make it easier for you to build a network of contacts and transition from study to employment.
Quick links +
03 9629 2871
- Gain valuable career-relevant work experience.
- Learn new skills to enhance your resume.
- Grow your knowledge of your chosen industry and get a ‘foot in the door.’
- Improve your job application and interview techniques.
- Preview a job or workplace to see if it’s right for you.
- Receive support throughout the program.
- Applicants must have a disability and be registered with Disability Services at their university or TAFE. As this is a targeted program specifically for students with disability, applicants are required to provide any relevant disability information and any information about adjustments or modifications that may be required for the duration of the program. Alternatively, students may provide valid medical information if not registered with Disability Services.
- For university students, you must be enrolled in the second last or final year of a relevant degree at a recognised tertiary institution.
- For TAFE students, you must be enrolled in either a Certificate IV or Diploma.
- Please note that every employer has their own eligibility and selection criteria. Please read information carefully pursuant to the relevant opportunities. In some cases, a background check may be required as part of the recruitment process.
- Applicants must not be on a leave of absence from their studies (e.g. deferred, working full time, etc.)
- Applicants must be committed and prepared to participate fully in the program and be available to attend a student briefing conducted by AND before starting the program.
- Applicants must have full work rights in Australia (applicants for Government programs must be Australian Citizens).
Applications for Connect50 Summer 2020/21 have now closed. Thanks to all who applied! Join our mailing list to be the first to hear about more Connect50 opportunities!
If you’d like to receive updates as roles are offered please contact AND or
Previous Connect50 opportunities included:
- Harwood Andrews (Geelong) – Legal Intern
- TAFE Gippsland (Traralgon) – Report Writer Disability Action Plan Intern
- GForce Employment Solutions (Geelong) – Project Assistant Intern
- Coulter Roache (Geelong) – Legal Intern
- Committee for Gippsland Database Collection Officer Intern (Remote / Warragul)
- Committee for Gippsland Marketing and Communications Project Officer Intern (Remote / Warragul)
- Square V (Bendigo) – Software Developer Intern
Previous Connect50 Advocacy roles included:
- VALID (Melbourne – Richmond) – Project Officer Intern
- Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities (ADEC) (Melbourne – Preston) – Disability Royal Commission Community Information Intern
- Association for Children with Disability (ACD) – Policy Officer Intern (Surrey Hills)
- Brain Injury Matters (BIM) – Web Designer Intern (Melbourne CBD)
- EACH – Consumer Engagement Project Support Intern (Ringwood / Boronia)
- Rights Information & Advocacy Centre – Communications and Marketing Intern (Bendigo / Remote)
- Grampians Disability Advocacy (Ararat) – Community Development Worker – Inclusion and Capacity Building Intern
- Gippsland Disability Advocacy (Traralgon) – Accessibility Project Officer Intern
- STAR Victoria (Melbourne CBD – Remote) – Communications Support Intern
- Youth Disability Advocacy Service (Youth Affairs Council Victoria) (Melbourne / Remote) – Policy Data Analyst Intern
If you would like to apply for Connect50 please click below to
The internship you wish to apply for should be relevant to your current studies, unless otherwise specified. The roles are designed to give you hands-on work experience in the field of your related area of study. Disciplines are listed next to each position description. This may help you determine if your studies are relevant and suited to the role.
Once the minimum 152 internship hours have been reached, there should be no expectation of an ongoing role. However, through our experience some employers have extended internships, based on work performance, feasibility and demand. Employers may also encourage you to ask about recruitment opportunities, particularly graduate positions, if you’re interested in ongoing employment.
Absolutely. If you’re interested in more than one opportunity, you can most certainly apply for more than one. As each job is different and different employers are involved, you’ll need to submit a separate application for each job you want to apply for. However, it’s likely you’ll only put forward an application for one internship initially.
This will depend on the internship you’re applying for. Many internships require applicants to have permanent residency or citizenship. However, some employers will accept applications from students with international working rights. You’ll be required to provide a current Visa Entitlement Verification Online form when applying for positions. Please check the eligibility criteria for each internship before submitting an application.
Connect50 internships run for a minimum 152 hours, which can be worked as a four-week block or flexibly across a semester of study. After you apply, you’ll meet with us to talk about your skills, abilities and interests. You can also discuss any workplace adjustments, and get advice on how to share disability-related information with employers so they can support you to perform at your best. If you’re shortlisted for the next stage, you’ll be invited to an interview with the employer. This is your time to shine. Successful applicants will receive support and guidance from us throughout the placement.
Absolutely! Click here to download a brochure (PDF, 161KB).
Apply for the Connect50 program
Build your experience, confidence and networks.